Tuesday 25 September 2012

Trekking Skincare

Skincare while trekking is a major concern for me. Between the dehydration and the UV, a high altitude trek can do quite a number on your skin.

Last year I was deeply disappointed by the dermalogica products that I used. At altitude, the UV ripped right through SPF moisturiser and I got back to Kathmandu with peeling face, neck and hands. :-(

This year I will be trying a skin regime from Kiehl's. So while in NYC last week I went to the mothership and   had a consultation.

Working through my daily routine, I will be using:

Ultra Facial Cleanser - I won't be able to shower daily but at least I'll be able to wash my face. This is a gentle cleanser that does not strip the skin

Calendula Toner - I always follow with a toner. It's the legacy of following the Clinique 3-step routine for decades.

I'll then slap on the Super Fluid UV Defense which is SPF 50+ which I will then layer with Ultra Facial Cream that is specially formulated for extremely cold and dry conditions (as used on the Greenland First Ascent expedition!).

I also have some of their coloured lip balms with SPF 15 and Hair Oil with SPF 10 to finish off although once one leaves Namche hats are de rigeur.

For the evening I have Midnight Recovery Concentrate and if I'm lucky enough to cadge a shower, the Cross-Terrain All-in-One Refuelling Wash which is good for hair and body.

I know that sounds like a lot of products but the lady at Kiehl's kindly gave me sample sizes for a number of the products so it's not as bad as it seems at first blush.

I just wish I'd realised they would also be for sale at duty free. :-(

1 comment:

Alex moner said...

A little goes a long way with this lotion, so I am not even halfway through it yet.view publisher site