Tuesday 19 July 2011

More bloody shopping

I love my other half but I have to say that he's not the best at discouraging me from spending money. I've now taken his advice and bought the North Face insulated trousers as well as a down jacket. Mind you, pointing at the weather forecast for Base Camp (-23C and 50cm snow) makes for a rather compelling argument in favour of having more extreme weather gear with me. ::sigh:: So that's another £250 but at least I got them in the sales or it would have been twice as painful.

Anyway, I know I don't even have this first trek under my belt yet but I've got all the equipment now so I have to confess that I've been looking speculatively at other mountains & treks. For example, I'll be in NYC for 10 days in September and I've suggested to my father that we hike to the top of Mt. Washington - home to the world's worst weather. I just hope that his health and fitness are up to it. And I really ought to encourage him to get some proper hiking boots and start breaking them in now!

Back to the here and now - fundraising seems to have ground to a halt. I really don't know what else I can do! Suggestions will be gratefully accepted. My BF says I was too hasty and that I should have scheduled this whole thing for next  summer but I never dreamed it would be so hard to raise this money particularly to save something as important as Hut 6. Ah well, chin up. Mustn't fuss. I guess I just have to channel that Dunkirk spirit and carry on.

No comments: